This practical information for parents covers your child's key transitions from preschool through to high school and beyond.
In the classroom
Find out about what they will learn at each stage and the opportunities and support offered in the classroom, or explore activities for them to take part in, in their own time outside of school.
Follow links to know more about the key aspects of the education system and life at school, what your child will learn, and how you can help. We also offer articles, guides, and blogs to help you make informed choices at the key stages of your child's learning journey.
- Early childhood education and care
- Disability programs - support for children with special needsPublic School locator
- Preschool, starting school through to Year 6, and transition into high school
- Years 7 to 10
- Years 11 to 12 and beyond
- State-wide competitions - a chance to excel in public speaking, debating, web design, student newspapers, environmental management and much more.
- Local and state-wide activities in visual arts, music, dance and drama.
- Premier's sporting challenge
- Explore the DET arts unit's website to find out about state-based and national debating, public speaking and spelling events.
Outside of school
Explore these activities for your child to take part in, outside of school, in their own time.
Interesting opportunities for your child to explore volunteering, and get involved in the community:
Find out about the range of sporty, leisurely, artistic or green activities and events:
- Arts and culture
The arts program encourages artistic engagement and participation.
- Watch and play sports
- Bike safari circuit
- Nature and environment
Loads of events and activities to help your child experience nature.
- Kids in the park
More than 50 activities or clinics to choose from.
A great way to help your child develop in a fun, secure and professionally-run environment:
- Sport connect – disability training and programs
- Sport camps run out of eleven sport and recreation centres, by friendly and well-trained staff throughout the year.
- Kids holiday camps
- Respite camps for teens with disability
- Family camps
This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.
International school students
Meet current and past international school students and watch their videos.
Go to DEC International to find out about international students, temporary residents, study tours and short-term study overseas.