Agency information guide

Our agency guide describes the type of information that is either freely available or available on informal request.  It describes other instances where formal application may be made for access and where access is excluded. 

Types of information

Last updated March 2017.

Informal access

If we haven't published the information you seek we may be able to release it to you without the need for a formal access application. We generally provide the following types of information in response to an informal request:

  • copies of correspondence, sent to us by the requester
  • documents that contain only personal information about the requester
  • documents that have already been made public in some other way 
  • other reasonable requests for release of information that would not raise any potential public interest concerns.

We may impose conditions in your use or disclosure of information that is released in response to your informal request.

Formal access

If the information you are looking for is not published by us or available by informal request, you may wish to make a formal access application in writing under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009Access applications are subject to application fees and processing charges. We will not however release information if there is an overriding public interest against its disclosure.

Information which may not be disclosed

An access application cannot be made for information specifically excluded under Schedule 2 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. This includes the storage, reporting and analysis of department information relating to the ranking of students who have completed the Higher School Certificate for entrance into tertiary institutions.

For some categories of information, while an access application may be made there is a presumption against release. The list of categories is set out at Schedule 1 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009.


This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.

See also

Contact details

For enquiries about the education and the school system, location of policy documents:
Call the schools and community senior information officer
T 02 9561 8999

Applications under the GIPA Act enquiries:
Information Access Unit
Department of Education
Level 7, 35 Bridge St
T 02 9561 8100
F 02 9561 1157

Media enquiries:
NSW Department of Education's media unit:
T 02 9561 8501