Apply to teach

You've made the decision to teach in NSW public schools, you now need to obtain an 'approval to teach'.

This applies to all teachers including those whose qualifications were completed interstate or overseas, and teachers resuming their career after an absence of five years or more.

You will receive your approval to teach when you meet the requirements set by the Department. New scheme teachers will also need to satisfy the requirements set by the the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards.

To obtain approval to work as a casual, temporary or permanent teacher in NSW public schools you must:

  • apply for an assessment of your qualifications and if you are a new scheme teacher, a Statement of Eligibility from the Board of Studies, Teaching and Educational Standards (BOSTES). BOSTES will  assess your qualifications to determine the teaching subject/s you are qualified to teach in NSW public schools. New scheme teachers must apply for this assessment through the BOSTES website.
  • apply for a Working With Children check
  • at the same time, apply to the Department by creating an online application. You will only be able to submit your online application once you have received your Working With Children Check number. When entering your location preferences for employment, you should consult the Organisation of public schools in NSW by staffing area (XLS 0.35MB) and the School Locator.
  • give your consent to probity checks and send required supporting documentation by post. When you have submitted your online application, you will receive a checklist of required documentation by email.
  • attend a personal suitability for teaching interview.  You will receive by email an invitation to book an interview when your qualifications have been assessed and mandatory checks have been completed.

There are additional requirements for overseas trained teachers.

If your application is successful, you will be notified by email with a copy of your approval to teach. Your approval to teach will lapse if you have a break from teaching in NSW public schools for a period of five years. 

You should keep emails from us as these have important information and web links that are relevant to your application. 

Once you have submitted your online application, you may apply for teaching jobs that suit you. If you are the recommended applicant for the position, your appointment will be subject to successful completion of our recruitment requirements.

Your approval to teach allows you to work as a teacher in NSW public schools. Only Australian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for permanent employment in NSW public schools. Non-residents on a working holiday visa may be approved to work as a casual or temporary teacher.


This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.

Popular links