Outside school hours care

With the commencement of the National Quality Framework on 1 January 2012, outside school hours care (OSHC) providers are now regulated by the Department of Education and Communities.

From 1 January 2012, all providers of OSHC in NSW needed to apply for approval to operate their service. A considerable amount of support was provided to the OSHC sector to help them comply with the new requirements and all applications for approval received as part of the transition have now been processed.  Pre-existing OSHC services that applied during the transitional period also received the benefits of special provisions relating to areas such as:

  • The amount of indoor space that a service must have
  • Shade in outdoor spaces
  • The design of premises facilitating supervision.

These special provisions do not apply to new OSHC services and cease to apply to existing OSHC services if the service is renovated or if the service approval is transferred. 

To apply to open a new service, you will need to register and create a new provider application through the National Quality Application Information Technology System (NQAITS)and electronic payment must be made at the time of the application.  Once you have registered, you can also apply for a Service Approval using the Provider number with which you will have been  issued. As part of this process, you will also need to complete and upload a number of documents including:

  • Evidence of legal entity type (provider application)
  • Declaration(s) of fitness and propriety (provider application
  • Application fees (all applications)
  • Signed declarations (all applications)
  • Public liability insurance or government indemnity (service application)
  • NS01 - Nominated Supervisor Consent Form (service application)
  • Plans (service application)
  • Soil assessment or statement (service application)
  • Planning permit if required (service application)
  • Proof of right to occupy the premises (service application)
  • Occupancy certificate (service application)

Some of the requirements may differ if your service operates from a school site.

More information on opening an education and care service can be obtained from the Australian Children's Quality and Care Authority.

Please note that being approved as an OSHC service in NSW does not automatically entitle you to receive Childcare Benefit or Childcare Rebate.  These schemes are operated by the Commonwealth Department of Education and require separate approval.  Information on Childcare Benefit approval is available from the Commonwealth Department of Education's website.

Need more information?

If you require any further clarification or assistance in completing your application please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 619 113 or email ececd@det.nsw.edu.au.


This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.