Aboriginal ECE scholarship
The information on this page will be moving soon.
We're in the process of moving our content to the new education.nsw.gov.au to align with the Global Experience Framework. We're taking a customer focus and leading the way in government digital transformation.
Stay tuned for more details.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
The Aboriginal Early Childhood Education Scholarships program is designed to support people who wish to pursue an early childhood education teaching qualification.
The program is open to anyone of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background.
Interested applicants do not need to be currently working in the education sector to apply.
The Scholarships are being offered to support an increase in the number of Aboriginal Early Childhood Teachers in the early childhood education sector in NSW.
Up to 15 scholarships will be awarded every year from 2018 to 2020.
Successful applicants will be offered a scholarship of up to $20,000 to complete a four-year bachelor level early childhood teaching qualification.
Interested applicants do not need to be currently working in the education sector to apply. To be eligible to apply for an Aboriginal Early Childhood Teaching Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent
- Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
- Be accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived
- Be a resident of NSW
- Intend to enrol or already be enrolled in a bachelors degree leading to a four-year university early childhood teaching qualification recognised by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA)
- Not be in receipt of any other scholarship funding related to the course for which the scholarship is sought, with the exception of:
- Scholars currently taking part in the ECED Rural and Remote ECT scholarship program who satisfy the remaining criteria. These scholars will be invited to transfer into the first round of the program. Further payments for these scholars will be adjusted according to payments already received under the Rural and Remote scholarship program.
Applications are open via SmartyGrants from 3 November 2017 to 31 January 2018.
Applicants will be asked to supply:
- Verified copy of proof of identity
- Details of the degree in which they intend to enrol in/are enrolled in
- A supporting statement detailing motivation to engage in early childhood education as a career
- Details of any prior early childhood qualifications
- Details of employment if currently employed within an early childhood education service.
- Successful applicants will be offered a scholarship of up to $20,000 to complete a four-year early childhood teaching qualification
- Payments will be made via EFT in instalments over the course of the degree
- Payments will be proportional to the study load undertaken by successful applicants, as well as whether study is undertaken in semesters or trimesters
- Two payments will be made each semester/trimester:
- An initial payment following proof of enrolment at the point of the HECS census date
- A second payment following proof of completion at the end of each semester/trimester
- Payments for successful applicants who are currently completing their qualification or transferring to the program from the ECED Rural and Remote ECT scholarship program will be adjusted to reflect a total proportional to the number of units required to complete the qualification.
Use of Funds
- Successful applicants will be required to sign a Deed of Agreement setting out the terms and conditions of the scholarship
- Scholarship recipients can decide how best to use funds to support their studies. This may include, but is not limited to, purchase or hire of textbooks and resources, costs associated with attending study sessions, technology to support study, or course fees
- Scholarship recipients may defer their study for a maximum of 12 months, with the department's prior approval.
The department will contact applicants about the outcome of their application in February 2017.
For more information about the Aboriginal Early Childhood Education Scholarships, please contact the Aboriginal Services team at the department's Early Childhood Education Directorate:
1300 755 426
For more information regarding accredited teacher education programs please visit the Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority website.