Your obligations


You must meet a number of obligations once your community language school receives funding through the NSW Community Languages Schools Program.

As well as following the guide on this page, read the funding guidelines to understand everything that is required from your organisation.

You must:

Sign a contract

When you accept funding from us, you enter into a contract with the NSW Department of Education. This is known as the ‘funding agreement', which explains the terms and conditions of the funding. It is important that you read the terms and conditions closely because a failure to comply with them could mean your funding agreement is terminated and your organisation might have to repay the money.

Provide a report on any previous grants

If you have previously received a grant through the NSW Community Languages Schools Program, you must submit a statement of income and expenditure (known as an acquittal report) . This helps us report to the NSW Government, evaluate the achievements of the activities we fund, and monitor the effectiveness of the program. Unfortunately, if you do not provide us with this report or you do not complete it properly, you may not be eligible to apply for further funding from the NSW Department of Education and Communities.

Download acquittal reports

•    Per capita grants less than $50,000 (PDF 0.06MB)
•    Per capita grants more than or equal to $50,000 (PDF 0.08MB)
•    Specific project grant acquittal (PDF 0.08MB)
•    Establishment grant acquittal (PDF - 0.08MB)
•    talk to an education support officer about your acquittal report.

Keep proper records in English

You must keep proper records in English, including an assets register according to the rules of incorporation and the program's funding guidelines. You should keep all records for a minimum of seven years. You should also keep all school operational records, financial records, registers and teacher accreditations in English.

Obtain the right insurances

Having insurance is important for many reasons, particularly when you are using a venue. It protects your board, staff and students.

Learn more about the types of insurance you will need to have at

The NSW Department of Education takes no responsibility for the content of external sites and the inclusion of these links does not imply any endorsement of services or products offered by this organisation.

Required insurance

•    public liability insurance to protect the school

Recommended insurance

•    directors and officers liability insurance to protect the management committee
•    workers compensation insurance to protect employed or paid staff if they injure themselves at work
•    voluntary workers insurance to protect volunteers if they injure themselves at work
•    professional indemnity insurance to protect students, teachers, volunteers and parents

Working with children checks

Any person (paid workers or volunteers) in your community language school who has direct unsupervised contact with children and young people must undergo an online Working with Children Check at the Office of the Children's Guardian.

It is important that every new volunteer, worker or teacher working at your community language school undergoes the appropriate check. These checks keep all children safe.

Your organisation must register online at the Office of the Children's Guardian.

Step 1

Register your organisation online.

Step 2

Every time a new staff member starts (paid or unpaid), they must complete the appropriate check.

Step 3

Show proof of these checks to the principal as part of your Community Use Agreement.

Learn more at the NSW Commission for Children and Young People's website.

Education Support Officers representing the NSW Community Languages Schools Program visit community languages schools that have received funding. Schools are required to provide a grant acquittal report to demonstrate their compliance with the terms and conditions of the program. Schools may also be requested to provide documentation, school records, financial reports and other information related to the program's terms and conditions.





This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.