This one-off Establishment Grant of $2,500 helps organisations that are setting up language classes for the first time. It helps new community languages schools in their first year.
Who can apply?
You may receive an establishment grant if your community language school:
- is located more than two kilometres away from any other community language school which teaches the same language
- has been operating for at least two months using a teaching program
- normally has a minimum of 20 school-aged students enrolled. (Schools outside a metropolitan area with less than 20 students may be eligible for funding in some circumstances.)
- is open to school students from Kindergarten to Year 12, regardless of their language background
- holds classes outside school hours for at least 35 weeks of the year
- provides a minimum of two hours per week face-to-face language teaching based on a sound educational program.
- If your community is small or isolated and cannot meet teacher or syllabus requirements immediately, you may be granted an exemption for up to 12 months. During this time your school can work with a program education officer to try to meet these requirements.
What can the grant be used for?
The grant can be used for:
- teaching materials
- stationery, photocopying
- payments to teachers
- buying educational equipment
- expenses associated with the administration of the schools.
What are the conditions?
Your community language school must show:
- it is an organisation with ‘incorporated association' status
- it has the correct insurances
- it has followed the correct steps for setting up a school.
Other important points:
- If your organisation receives an Establishment grant, you cannot apply for a Per-capita grant in the same calendar year
- You may not be eligible for funding for your new school if there is another community language school that teaches the same language within two kilometres. Check your local area for other community languages schools.
When is the closing date?
Applications must be made online by 30 April each year.