The first community language school was set up by German settlers in Klemzig, South Australia in 1857.
A part-time Hebrew school was started in Victoria in 1874. The first Greek community language school began in Melbourne in 1898.
Since the end of World War ll, seven million people of different backgrounds have migrated to Australia. Many migrant parents have wanted to make sure their children read and spoke their language.
In NSW, the Community Languages Schools Program began in the mid-1980s. Over the past 20 years, enrolments have grown continuously.
Across Australia community languages school programs now help about 100,000 students learn and use many different community languages.