Gallipoli and Bill Hall Scholarships
The Gallipoli and Bill Hall Memorial Scholarships aim to teach Australians about the enduring traditions established through Australia's experience during the two World Wars.
The scholarships provide financial assistance for one year to Australians starting degrees at a NSW or ACT university.
There are up to 7 Gallipoli or Bill Hall Memorial Scholarships on offer, each worth $5000 tax free.
Who can apply?
An applicant for the Scholarship must be:
- a lineal descendant of an Australian World War One veteran for the Gallipoli Scholarship, or a lineal descendant of an Australian World War Two veteran for the Bill Hall Memorial Scholarship.
- an Australian citizen resident in NSW or the ACT.
- under 25 years of age on or before 1 March of the year of applying.
- eligible for Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Austudy or a similar government benefit.
- able to explain the importance of the Gallipoli tradition to our nation and peoples, or, for the Bill Hall Memorial Scholarship, able to explain the importance of the Battle at Milne Bay.
To be eligible for the scholarships, applicants must:
- provide the regimental details of the veteran (these details will be verified during the selection process).
- provide the family tree which traces the applicant's relationship to the veteran.
- be able to authenticate the family tree with copies of the relevant birth, death and marriage certificates.
- Include a copy of the applicant's birth certificate, examination results (for example HSC, IB, University Entrance), school references and the relevant university offer.
- Submit an essay of about 400 words describing the Gallipoli tradition or, for the Bill Hall Memorial Scholarship, an essay on the importance of the Battle of Milne Bay.
A 60 percent weighting will apply to financial need and a 40 percent weighting to educational merit.
Visit the Gallipoli Scholarship website for full details of the selection criteria and relevant application forms.
This site uses Google Translate, a free language translation service, as an aid. Please note translation accuracy will vary across languages.