Trauma support for children and families
Support is available to families following the incidents that occurred recently in Sydney's Martin Place.
NSW Health has provided links to resources on its website.
Parents should contact their GP network for advice in supporting any children who they believe have been traumatised by these events. Alternatively, local public health teams can be contacted for appropriate advice.
For specific information on how to support children in response to this event, please see the resource prepared by the Australian Child and Adolescent Trauma, Loss and Grief Network.
Other useful contacts for assistance and advice include:
- NSW Mental Health Line - 1800 011 511, press ‘Option 1' to be transferred to your nearest Community Mental Health Drug & Alcohol Service
- Lifeline – 13 11 14, confidential telephone counselling
- MensLine Australia – 1300 789 978, confidential telephone counselling for men
- Kids Helpline – 1800 551 800, telephone counselling
- Beyondblue - 1200 22 4636, information and referral line
- These services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.