Schools' rhinos take over NSW centres
Rhinos in the 'wilds' of Sydney? Yes, believe your eyes. Local numbers of rhinoceroses are definitely on the rise across NSW.
As part of Taronga Zoo's Wild! Rhinos initiative, schools from areas as diverse as Narrabeen in the north of Sydney to Caringbah in the south; and from country areas like Dubbo, Jindabyne and Tuggerah Lakes have decorated life-sized rhino calves to raise awareness and funds for Taronga's Rhino breeding program and conservation projects.
More than 50 public schools are participating in the project (see the list below).
In many instances, the names and decorative styles selected for the rhinos reflect research and consequent deep understanding by the students of the plight of rhinos in the wild, and of conservation issues generally.
From today until 28 April, the calves will join full-size adult rhino sculptures painted by professional artists, in a 'Rhino Trail'. The 125 wildly-colourful rhinos and calves will take their places in parks, shopping centres and public spaces around Sydney and in regional areas across the state, before being returned to their 'home' schools for permanent display.
In fact, artist Marty Routledge's adult rhino 'Heavy Weight' is currently watching over DEC's Bridge Street offices, outside the door to the Farrer Place entry to the building.
Find out more information on the Taronga Zoo website.
NSW public schools that have decorated rhino calves for the project:
- Anson Street School (Orange)
- Barrellan Central School
- Baulkham Hills High School
- Bilgola Plateau Public School
- Birrong Boys High School
- Bonnells Bay Public School
- Booligal Public School
- Caringbah North Public School
- Condell Park Public School
- Coonamble Public School
- Crestwood High School
- Curl Curl North Public School
- Dora Creek Public School
- Dubbo Public School
- Dubbo South Public School
- Fisher Road SSP (Dee Why), working with Barrenjoey High School
- Goolma Public School
- Guildford West Public School
- Gum Flat Public School
- Hillsborough Public School
- Jindabyne Central School (5 rhinos in all!)
- Lincoln School (Dubbo)
- Mosman Public School
- Mount Terry Public School
- Narrabeen North Public School
- New Lambton South Public School
- Newport Public School
- Nillo Infants School
- Northmead Creative & Performing Arts High School
- Orana Heights Public School
- Punchbowl Public School
- Robert Townson High School (Raby)
- Rockley Public School
- Rollands Plains Upper Public School
- Rozelle Public School
- Rutherford Public School
- Sefton High School
- Sylvania Heights Public School
- Tuggerah Lakes Secondary Campus – Berkeley Vale Campus
- Wahroonga Public School
- Willans Hill School (Wagga Wagga)
- Wirreanda Public School (a total of 4 rhinos)
- Wongarbon Public School
- York Public School
- Zig Zag Public School